Questions (for possible discussion on the podcast)

This forum is for discussion about the G.I. Joe Review podcast, the net's only podcast dedicated to the review of Marvel's G.I. Joe comic series.

Moderator: Sidewinder

Re: Questions (for possible discussion on the podcast)

Postby chad_ghost on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 pm

We should have some news in the next podcast :)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Sidewinder on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 am

chad_ghost wrote:We should have some news in the next podcast :)

And that new podcast is now up. :D
Sidewinder

Postby littlenomad on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:28 pm

April, 1980: Members of Delta Force participated in the all too familiar botched hostage-rescue operation in Iran (Operation Eagle Claw). What had been months of planning and training went to waste, when at a refueling spot in the Iranian desert (code-named 'Desert One'), a helicopter crashed into a tanker aircraft. The end result was 8 dead servicemen, plus scores of others injured. The mission objective was to rescue American hostages trapped in the American embassy by Iranian Revolutionary Guard. This was to be Delta's "Entebbe," or "Mogadishu," but it went down in counter-terrorist history as one of the greatest tragedies. [Source: http://www.specialoperations.com/Army/D ... ations.htm]

I've wondered for some time if, in the beginning, Larry Hama wanted the Joes' backstory to mirror that of the real-life Delta Force. The Joes' official code name was "Special Counter-Terrorist Group Delta," and Snake-Eyes was revealed to have been injured in a helicopter accident during a mission in the Middle East. I know the Snake-Eyes injury story was sort-of retconned much later in the Marvel series, but the original depiction (issues 26 & 27, written in the early 80's) seems vague enough to remind readers of what happened to the unlucky rescue force sent to end the 444-day Iran hostage crisis.

I thought this was worth posting, because I don't think it is a theory anyone has suggested before. At least I haven't read it anywhere. What do you think?
Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat.
littlenomad

Postby Matthew on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 am

littlenomad wrote:April, 1980: Members of Delta Force participated in the all too familiar botched hostage-rescue operation in Iran (Operation Eagle Claw). What had been months of planning and training went to waste, when at a refueling spot in the Iranian desert (code-named 'Desert One'), a helicopter crashed into a tanker aircraft. The end result was 8 dead servicemen, plus scores of others injured. The mission objective was to rescue American hostages trapped in the American embassy by Iranian Revolutionary Guard. This was to be Delta's "Entebbe," or "Mogadishu," but it went down in counter-terrorist history as one of the greatest tragedies. [Source: http://www.specialoperations.com/Army/D ... ations.htm]

I've wondered for some time if, in the beginning, Larry Hama wanted the Joes' backstory to mirror that of the real-life Delta Force. The Joes' official code name was "Special Counter-Terrorist Group Delta," and Snake-Eyes was revealed to have been injured in a helicopter accident during a mission in the Middle East. I know the Snake-Eyes injury story was sort-of retconned much later in the Marvel series, but the original depiction (issues 26 & 27, written in the early 80's) seems vague enough to remind readers of what happened to the unlucky rescue force sent to end the 444-day Iran hostage crisis.

I thought this was worth posting, because I don't think it is a theory anyone has suggested before. At least I haven't read it anywhere. What do you think?

very cool piece of insight. Wouldn't surprise me one bit about this being the idea behind the Joe story.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I know you did a "special edition" podcast when the licensing announcement was made at the end of May/first of June. Any thought of doing another one with the news release from IDW on Monday?
Keep up the good work!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Sidewinder on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:25 pm

destros_elite wrote:I know you did a "special edition" podcast when the licensing announcement was made at the end of May/first of June. Any thought of doing another one with the news release from IDW on Monday?
Keep up the good work!

We're probably not going to do a special edition just about Monday's news, but rest assured, we will be doing some special episodes in the future related to the new IDW run.
Sidewinder

Previous

Return to G.I. Joe Review